Studies conducted by Clemson University and Virginia Tech found that upgrading exterior landscaping from average to good increased home prices between 4% and 5%, improving the landscape from good to excellent increased costs 6% to 7%, and upgrading from average to excellent elevated home prices by a whopping 10% to 12%. The quality of landscape also determines what the buyers are willing to pay for the home. Artificial exterior landscaping is desirable because it cuts the maintenance costs completely. It is easier and advisable in drought-prone areas, or areas where excess water availability is not possible. Due to the installation and maintenance costs of real trees and grass, artificial greenery can be preferred. Exterior Landscaping can be done for residential as well as commercial estates for the added value.
Here we try to decipher which are the most eye-catching trees and plants that might increase the perceived value of the place-
1. Deciduous Trees- Deciduous trees are big and colorful. They are perfect for larger front spaces or long drive-ways. Real deciduous trees will have the disadvantage of shedding all their leaves in fall, so using fake ones for landscaping purpose removes the maintenance hassles. Some deciduous tree varieties are Oak trees, Maple trees, Hickory trees and they come in great colors like Sugar Maple trees in orange and yellow colors, Red Oak Trees in a bright red color and calm looking White Oak Trees in a snow white color. While choosing such trees, the neighborhood and back-drop to be created should be kept in mind. Otherwise, it might look like a mismatch.
2. Palm Trees- They are among the most sturdy trees and grow in any climate, but as all trees do, they also require soil to develop. Thus, a better idea is to use artificial Palm trees which are available in as many shapes and sizes as needed. Palm trees are the best-used fauna outside commercial spaces. Palm trees give the feel of a tropical paradise and enhance the appeal of the landscape if used along-side a pool or inlining the boundaries of the home. Palm trees give the place an elegant, sunny and beachy vibe. They are available in numerous varieties like the Outdoor Artificial Coconut Plam trees, Outdoor Artificial King Sago Palm trees, Outdoor Artificial Cycas Palm and Outdoor Artificial Date Palms. King Sago Palm and Cycas Palm are shorter varieties of Palm trees; they are more suited for a garden creation. While selecting a tree of the Palm variety for landscaping, it should be ensured that they are of the best quality and should look very realistic. Most palms usually have a thick and thorny trunk, the material used should be of good quality so that the trees look believable.
3. Pine Trees- Pines are coniferous, evergreen trees. They are among the best trees for beautification and creating a landscape. Pine trees come in a vast variety too. They usually have pointy leaves and thick barks, so the quality of the artificial Pine should also be kept in mind. The taller Pines like the Lodgepole Pines are suitable for more significant estates and open backyards. The smaller pines like Monterey Pine Bonsai Trees can be used in the garden as a potted plant too.
4. Larger Trees- Some large trees that can be included in your landscaping efforts are-
• The Banyan tree- It requires a lot of space and has hanging branches. The dark green color of the tree looks regal and adds to the foresty vibe of the landscaping.
• Bougainvillea Flowering trees- These flowering trees are perfect for adding a pop of color to your outdoors. The flowers are of a pink or magenta color, and the tree is not too vast to cover a lot of space. It can be kept in a big flower pot.
• Black Olive Tree- A Black Olive is not a huge tree but can be used for shading other smaller potted plants. It has picturesque looking leaves.
• Large Leaf Baobab Trees- They are big looking trees and have thick trunks and broad leaves. For installing this tree, it should be kept in mind that the leaves should not fade or bleed color as the width of the leaves is more. Thus, they are more susceptible to fading.
5. Customized Trees- Trees can be customized according to choice and requirement.
Some famous varieties that are often customized are-
• Bonsai Trees- Bonsais are smaller versions of larger trees. They are unusually pretty and attractive. A Bonsai can be used as a centerpiece of the garden. There are many types of Bonsais, some Bonsais which are undeniably beautiful and perfect for a feature in an exterior landscape are a Japanese Bonsai tree and a Monochromatic Bonsai tree.
• Desert Willow Trees- The Desert Willow has pretty colored flowers, and it also requires a right amount of space. The Desert Willow can be customized according to size and space requirements.
Gravel or mulch can be used for artificial landscaping, on the ground rather than plain grass everywhere. An exterior landscape requires expert planning and thoughtful use of a variety of plants, trees, and grass. It can also be a combination of both real and fake trees and grass. With the returns that can be received from creating a great outdoor landscape, you should not hesitate in creating one.